In the year the Toronto Blueshirts won the Stanley Cup, Stephen Leacock published Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town and World War 1 begins, W.R. Sachs founds an auto parts store in Toronto and names it Garage Supply before being sent off to war.
Staying true to our roots, our 3rd generation family leadership team continues to innovate as automotive and heavy-duty equipment industry leaders.
IT ALL STARTED IN 1914…
WR Sachs founds Garage Supply then is sent to off to fight in WW1, leaving others in charge of the store.
WR Sachs returns and incorporates Garage Supply Co. Ltd.
Publishes his first Auto Parts Catalogue
Earl Barnett is hired by W.R. Sachs as his personal
GS builds new Head Office @ 36 Breadalbane St (Bay
St. south of Wellesley St)
GS opens first branch in Belleville, Ontario
GS opens new branch in Hamilton, Ontario
GS opens new branch in Kitchener, Ontario
Publishes 2nd Auto Parts Catalogue
New Branch opened in St. Catherines
New Branch opened in Orillia (Earl Barnett manager,
Hubert Sheriff Office Manager, Helen Potter, secretary)
WR Sachs sells most of his shares to his employees.
Company is now employee owned. (Earl Barnett owns
many shares of Garage Supply Co. Ltd.).
New Branch opened in North Toronto
New Auto Parts Catalogue published
New Branch opened in West Toronto
8th Branch opened in East Toronto
Managers of Branches in Belleville, Hamilton, Kitchener, St. Catherines and Orillia purchase their respective Branches thus becoming Independent Companies.
Garage Supply (Orillia) Limited becomes legal
independent company owned by Earl Barnett.
Garage Supply Co. Head Office takes on role as one of the first Warehouse Distributors selling to it’s own branches and the independent Garage Supply stores.
Garage Supply Co. opens it’s 9th Branch on Jane St.
Garage Supply Orillia opens branches in Midland and Lindsay.
Midland branch operates successfully for years, burns down once, relocated 2x and is eventually sold in 1980’s
Lindsay branch operates for sometime with Jim Barnett as sales rep in the area but closes in 1970’s during a recession.
Garage Supply Toronto moves headquarters to Thorncliff Park. Renamed as Leaside Warehousing. Most of the private GS branches sell to McKerlie Millen and eventually
become Carquest stores and Leaside Whse fades away.
Eventually GS Orillia becomes the only store operating under the Garage Supply name.
Earl Barnett & 5 other jobbers form new buying group called Replacement Parts Depot Limited or RPDL
RPDL would prove to be very important to GSO
growth and success over the next 40 years.
RPDL was our biggest supplier and biggest source of
profit over those 40 years
Earl Barnett sells company to Don Bourne, Doug and Alex Barnett and retires.
Earl Barnett founder of Garage Supply Orillia and RPDL passes away.
Garage Supply opens a new branch in Bracebridge under the management of Len Mercer.
Bracebridge Branch sold to Muskoka Auto Parts after becoming THE major Auto Parts store in Muskoka under Len’s leadership.
Garage Supply opens GS Autobody Supply at 95 Dufferin St in the same building under the management of Vern Ewanchuck and his fully trained staff.
Garage Supply equipment business headed by Doug, grows along side the auto parts business with the addition of installation services headed by Ken Tudhope.
Garage Supply Limited spins off a new company called Garage Supply Contracting Inc. as a separate company both companies now jointly owned by Doug & Alex Barnett.
Both companies & GS Autobody exist under the same roof sharing staff, computer systems, warehouse, trucks and forklift.
Garage Supply Limited, tired of having its forklift and trucks mysteriously disappear without warning, suggest Contracting get their own place.
Garage Supply Contracting moves to Line 13 North in Oro-Medonte and buys its own forklifts.
Garage Supply Limited & GS Autobody are sold to Bay Auto of Barrie leaving Garage Supply Contracting as the only Garage Supply now operating
Some of our founders
See Garage Supply through the years
1923 Product Catalogue includes a confidential discount sheet, hundreds of prices and description for parts and tools and printable order sheets for placing orders.
Product catalogue showing products sold in 1940 along with the staff at the time of the Silver Anniversary in 1939.
The first catalogue produced after 9 years due to postwar conditions. Includes photos of location and workers, officers of the company during the first year of employee ownership and of course the products themselves.
100 Year Presentation
Check out the 100 year evolution of Garage Supply in this interactive powerpoint presentation. See what things were like 100 years ago and how they compare to how they are today! Must have the free version of powerpoint viewer to view this presentation. You can download it here.
100 Year Presentation
Check out the 100 year evolution of Garage Supply in a .pdf format. See what things were like 100 years ago and how they compare to how they are today! Must have the free version of Adobe Reader to view this presentation. You can download it here.
How can we help?
View our services to learn more about what we can do or check out our latest products.